Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 15:35:43 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Chris Odom <chris@digitech.net>
Cc:        "'dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu'" <dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ppp -auto, dynamic ip addressing

--------

Chris Odom uttered with conviction:

> And it worked!  No more hanging up on me after I connect.  Except
> now I can't use ppp -auto.  When I do "ppp -auto XXXX" (where XX XX
> is the name of the label in my ppp.conf script), it runs long enough
> to tell me that the "-au to" option does not work when i have a
> dynamically assigned gateway address.  Why is this?  Is there an y
> way around this?

 Yep... you need to use the line one of two ways:

 set ifaddr 0 HISADDR

 Yes.. use the word "HISADDR" this is a macro and will be replaced
 correctly. Or.... in my case... my ISP has two gateways... so I used
 this:

 set ifaddr 0 204.17.220.66/24

 which means use "204.17.220.66" if available .. but if not you HAVE
 to use at least the first 24 bits... In other words 204.17.220.x
 where x is what ever the ISP sends back.

 Nifty little gadget ;-)

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?