Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:32:37 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk (Philippe Regnauld)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

Philippe Regnauld stands accused of saying:
> Michael Smith (msmith) ecrit/writes:
> >
> > The SVGATextmode stuff had been done for FreeBSD, and if I thought it
> > was worth the effort, I'd try to help Soren get it working.  As it is,
> > a $60 PCI video card gives more than enough X grunt for snazzy text modes
> > to be a complete waste of time.
>
> 	Right you are.  But even though we workstation-monitor weenies may
> 	be on the way to extinction, in the meantime:
>
> 	a) It's nice to have 10200 (170x60) chars on the screen when you code
> 	   in text mode (with moused, it's even better -- see below)

I have a window open at the moment that's 250x135.  I can still read
the clock at the bottom of the screen telling me it's time to go home
and eat.

> 	b) It's nice not to have the monitor re-sync (2 seconds on some
> 	   stupid so-called 17" multi-sync that should have never come
> 	   off the design board)

Huh?  Who has their monitor resyncing?

> 	Referring to a), BTW -- since snazzy text modes are such a waste of
> 	time, how come Søren went to the pains of implementing moused ?

He didn't.  I did. 8)  He wrote the console cursor stuff as an exercise
in sheer masochism.  8)  (TBH, I made a real mess of moused and other
people have been responsible for making it work properly.)

> 	Don't tell me it's just to plant a flag and say, "There, we have
> 	GPM like the Linuxites".  Otherwise he'd have imported GPM, no... ?

No, GPM couldn't be imported; it's Linux-console-specific.  And it _was_
to shut up the ex-Linux GPM fanatics that moused was written.  So there 8)

> 	Sorry for the hard tone, and yes I did read your following message
> 	regarding Julian's work -- and yes, I should just STFU and put my
> 	head down to a better design.

*shrug*  Even just a little work to fix what's actually wrong with the
current design would be great 8)  Just take some time to work out
what really needs to be done, rather than jumping whatever the current
trend claims is The Right Thing.  Not so easy I guess.