Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:53:40 -0500
From:      David <habeeb@cfl.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: ICMP attacks

On Saturday 27 January 2001 11:00, you wrote:
> On Fr , Jan 26, 2001 at 04:44:51am -0500, Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe wrote:
> > > icmp-response bandwidth limit 205/200 pps
> > > icmp-response bandwidth limit 264/200 pps
> > > icmp-response bandwidth limit 269/200 pps
> > > icmp-response bandwidth limit 273/200 pps
> > > icmp-response bandwidth limit 273/200 pps
> > > icmp-response bandwidth limit 271/200 pps
> > > icmp-response bandwidth limit 261/200 pps
> > > icmp-response bandwidth limit 268/200 pps
> > > icmp-response bandwidth limit 205/200 pps
> > > icmp-response bandwidth limit 223/200 pps
> >
> > Is there any way to trace the people that are causing this? It's becoming
> > a daily occurance and it's beginning to irritate me.
>
> One is probably just running a portscan against you.
>
> The reason you see these messages is because a well behaving system
> generates an ICMP "port unreachable" message for every port that does
> not listen for incoming connections.
>
> To prevent you from generic ICMP based attacks that try to eat up your
> bandwidth, the ICMP_BANDLIM parameter was introduced in the GENERIC
> kernel. Some scanning programs, e.g. nmap, generate a large number of
> requests, thus triggering more replies than ICMP_BANDLIM allows to get
> out. [1]
>
> This is nothing to worry about, imho.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas Seck
>
> [1] If this is in any way not precise enough, do not beat me - I am not
> a kernel hacker.

I would suggest you setup some sort of local firewall.  Using ipfw(8) with a
dummynet(4) to help limit ICMP and SYN.  Also i find it useful to use the
following sysctl options so when a UDP or TCP packet is sent to a closed port
on your box or there is no connection the kernel will discard the packet
instead of sending back a reply (usually an RST):
net.inet.udp.blackhole=1
net.inet.tcp.blackhole=2

Hope it can help you.