Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 21:49:12 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

> Frank and I are not the only people who perceive that FreeBSD is plagued by a
> lack of investment in marketing. Walnut Creek doesn't seem willing to
> make that investment.

As someone relatively impartial in this spittle-fest, I would just like
to point out that Walnut Creek are not "unwilling" to make any
investment in FreeBSD.

Quite the contrary in fact; most businesses wouldn't even dream of
spending as much to promote and support the FreeBSD Project as WC does.
I doubt that any one organisation has spent, or continues to spend,
more money in direct support of any open-source operating system
project.

The "problem" is that they're effectively alone.  Apart from some (often
generous) donations from other organisations, Walnut Creek are the only
company spending money on FreeBSD as such.  We're spending about as
much as we can make right now, and investing more.

If you want an idea of the issues here, Walnut Creek has three employees
working on FreeBSD fulltime.  RedHat have fifty.  We spend a lot of
money on infrastructure (ftp.cdrom.com, the FreeBSD cluster, hardware
donations to developers), while RedHat write manuals and put them in a
pretty box.  That gives them a lot of time to write press releases.

Draw what "conclusions" you like from the situation.  Whatever you come
up with, don't think you can point the finger at us for not trying.
You're welcome to a slice of my ulcer.