Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 19:34:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ksmm@threespace.com (The Classiest Man Alive)
Cc:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is running out of time

> I just assumed that once we made a change to something as fundamental as
> the architecture's word size that everything else built upon that
> (including the filesystem structures) would follow suit.  In other words, I
> wasn't expecting that backward compatibility would be paramount after going
> 64-bit.

Nope.  Try talking to a 21041 chip on the other side of a PCI bridge
in anything except device register size units.  Device drivers don't
change because of memory bus size changes.

Also note that on-disk structure sizes are chosen for their ability
to be represented in integral multiples or fractions of a physical
disk block.  It is drastically easier to deal in terms of an atomic
write to a single disk block (check out the FFS directory entry code
to see what it would take to allow it to span two 512b disk blocks --
I've made the change for Unicode support... it's not pretty).

Inodes are currently 128 bytes; the next integral fraction of a disk
block is 256 bytes.  Note that this would effectively double the
amount of disk space that must be dedicated to inode storage, even
though it meets the <= one disk block pseudo-requirement.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.