Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:42:06 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   XTRA.co.nz finally fixed their DNS

After about two weeks of not being able to send mail to freebsd.org
because of screwed up DNS at xtra.co.nz, I have finally been able to sent
out mail.  Sheesh.  When I get back from the con, I am seriously going to
look at swapping ISPs.  This fiasco has been disgusting.  The main problem
was getting the help desk staff to understand that the problem did not lay
with freebsd.org.  They refused mulitple requests from me to check their
mail logs to verify the cause of the problem.  Finally, some kind soul at
with access, grabbed this from the freebsd mail logs:

 Aug 21 17:30:16 hub postfix/smtpd[33041]: reject: EHLO from
 mda.xtra.co.nz[203.96.92.1]: 450 <mta1-rme.xtra.co.nz>: Host not found

Looks like someone forgot to do their DNS properly.  I'm sure that nslint
or dnswalk would have found this.

Sheesh.

It's good to be back.
--