Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:02:43 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        griepent@wias-berlin.de
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR SCSI controller problems with FreeBSD-4.1R

Jens Andre Griepentrog writes:
> >From time to time I tried to install several Linux distributions to get
> the impression of a comparable OS but every time running into the same
> trouble concerning the detection of SCSI devices.

You didn't say, but this configuration works under something? Even
Windows?

Is there a BIOS SCSI probe utility? One where you can list devices?
The P6NP5 manual acts like it contains the SC-200 manual too. Says there
is an "auto NCR BIOS" setting, offering the ability to use a BIOS on the
card (which the less expensive cards lack) or the same built into the MB
BIOS. You might check this. Also consider flashing your BIOS to
whatever current version is available.

I too have a P6NP5 PPro system. New out of the box it did the darndest
things. Floppy drive was flakey under FreeBSD but worked under DOS.
Fought it for weeks. Then on a lark in the BIOS setup I hit "restore to
factory defaults" then punched selected things back to where I wanted
them. System has purred like a kitten ever since. Forgot when this was.
Seems like the P-II 266 was just out. I'm running a PPro-166/512k,
(now) overclocked to 210.

The conclusion is there are hardware parameters that can be set in the
BIOS BBRAM that do not have an interface for changing in the BIOS setup
program. Parameters that apparently Microsoft knows about and is able
to put into sane state after boot.

And while we are at it, this BIOS allows you control over IRQ
assignments. I don't remember why but I have my SC-875 on IRQ 11 all by
itself with all the rest of my PCI stuff (including an old 2940) mux'ed
on IRQ 15. Then again it works and no reason to change it.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net