Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 20:34:40 +1030
From:      "Martin Minkus" <diskiller@cnbinc.com>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Tecra 4000

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01BF772A.EB026E00

I'm looking at a secondhand Toshiba Tecra 4000 and am considering =
purchasing it.

I can't boot FBSD on it. (It refuses to boot of the CD, it just ignores =
it, and continues to boot Win95).
It does boot the Windows NT4 and NT5 (2000) cds, so i'm assuming it's =
BIOS is a bit picky and doesn't like my FBSD 3.3 and 3.4 boot cd's. =
(works on my old compaq laptop fine)

It doesn't have a disk drive either, so that option is out too. So i =
can't get FBSD onto it.

Now, my question is, DOES Fbsd work on this laptop, does it work WELL, =
and are there any known 'issues' or 'problems', etc. The toshiba laptops =
are some of the best compaitibility-wise (i had a toshiba tecra 570 or =
something a few years back, and FBSD ran wonderfully!!!. Since then, i =
got a Compaq and have regretted it since, having wierd problems with it =
always. Tho PAO came to the rescue).

So, i am assuming the Tecra 4000 will work great, i just need to buy an =
external fdd so i can install FBSD on it. It has an internal modem, =
which i assume is a WinModem, and is the only thing that won't work. It =
also has the docking station, and i'm assuming that will all work ? =
(USB, Ethernet, etc). Tho i'll mostly use my PCCARD WaveLAN and ethernet =
card from the compaq/old tecra that i've always used under FBSD.

Please reply to me personally, as i'm not subscribed to this particular =
mailing list.

If i hear good things about it, i'll buy it, and buy it an fdd, and get =
FBSD onto it :). This is a celeron 350 i believe, 64mb ram, and 6.1gb =
hdd. (i can't even check the processor, Win95a says its a Pentium Pro, =
and thats it? lol)

Thankyou
martin.

--
diskiller@cnbinc.com
Linux/FreeBSD hacker

Please use PGP: http://www.diskiller.net/pgp.html

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01BF772A.EB026E00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm looking at a secondhand Toshiba =
Tecra 4000 and=20
am considering purchasing it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I can't boot FBSD on it. (It refuses to =
boot of the=20
CD, it just ignores it, and continues to boot Win95).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It does boot the Windows NT4 and NT5 =
(2000) cds, so=20
i'm assuming it's BIOS is a bit picky and doesn't like my FBSD 3.3 and =
3.4 boot=20
cd's. (works on my old compaq laptop fine)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It doesn't have a disk drive either, so =
that option=20
is out too. So i can't get FBSD onto it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now, my question is, DOES Fbsd work on =
this laptop,=20
does it work WELL, and are there any known 'issues' or 'problems', etc. =
The=20
toshiba laptops are some of the best compaitibility-wise (i had a =
toshiba tecra=20
570 or something a few years back, and FBSD ran wonderfully!!!. Since =
then, i=20
got a Compaq and have regretted it since, having wierd problems with it =
always.=20
Tho PAO came to the rescue).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So, i am assuming the Tecra 4000 will =
work great, i=20
just need to buy an external fdd so i can install FBSD on it. It has an =
internal=20
modem, which i assume is a WinModem, and is the only thing that won't =
work. It=20
also has the docking station, and i'm assuming that will all work ? =
(USB,=20
Ethernet, etc). Tho i'll mostly use my PCCARD WaveLAN and ethernet card =
from the=20
compaq/old tecra that i've always used under FBSD.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Please reply to me personally, as i'm =
not=20
subscribed to this particular mailing list.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If i hear good things about it, i'll =
buy it, and=20
buy it an fdd, and get FBSD onto it :). This is a celeron 350 i believe, =
64mb=20
ram, and 6.1gb hdd. (i can't even check the processor, Win95a says its a =
Pentium=20
Pro, and thats it? lol)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thankyou</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>martin.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>--<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:diskiller@cnbinc.com">diskiller@cnbinc.com</A><BR>Linux/Fr=
eeBSD=20
hacker</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Please use PGP: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.diskiller.net/pgp.html">http://www.diskiller.net/pgp.h=
tml</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01BF772A.EB026E00--