Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 15:08:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?Jean-fran=E7ois_Dalbosco?= <jdalbosc@enserg.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: still don't work :o(

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Jean-françois Dalbosco wrote:
> 1. when i send a READ_6 opcode to the device it fullfills the
> databuffer with a series of characters. They are not really what i'm
> expecting but they do come from the device since i've been able to
> recognize 'on the fly' a string that has something to do with the
> device name. The device is a sort of Memory Disk and i was wondering
> from where those data could spring out?

No idea what your device is, but the data could be a boot block,
device-specific storage, etc.

> 2. my second question is how specific a driver can be? or in other
> words does the specificity of a device only resides in the specificity
> of its command opcodes or is there any other specificity that the
> Passthrough driver couldn't deal with?
>
> thanks a lot for your help.

The passthrough driver just sends the CCB to the SIM based on the
path.  It's up to your SIM to execute the command and the target's
firmware to perform the requested operation.

Try looking at the code to camcontrol/libcam.  They correctly implement
commands like INQUIRY that should be useful to you in learning how CAM
works.  <cam/scsi/scsi_all.h> has some useful premade structs for SCSI-2
commands.

-Nate