Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 1996 19:09:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Craig Shrimpton <craigs@os.com>
Subject:   Re: FBSD will not see mem above 16MB but PC does.

On 19:10:44 Doug White wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Craig Shrimpton wrote:
>
>> I have FBSD 2.1-STABLE on a Compaq Presario (has funky bios) and I've
>> just added another 32MB RAM.  On boot the PC saw the new memory and
>> autoconfiged it.  However, FBSD will only see 16MB of it.
>
>How wierd.  Does the BIOS see it too?

Wasn't there an issue with some MB's putting a hole right at 16M
for video or something and that caused FreeBSD to ignore everything
up higher? And I think it was Compaq's that had the problem...

Seem to recall the solution was either to turn off all caching of
BIOS EPROM and video in the BIOS setup, or David Greenman had a
kernel workaround that statically allocated the "hole" to nothing
and forced everything to run around it.

Or most likely I'm totally off the wall and don't know what I'm
talking about.  :-)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com (wk), dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)