Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:12:38 -0400
From:      "Andrew E. Stevens" <andrew@log.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Pico bug?

Greetings:

   I have been using FreeBSD 2.1.7 for nearly a year and a half, without
any problems related to pico or text editors in general.  However, I
recently did a full reinstall of freebsd over FTP, and am now running
2.2.7.  Ever since the upgrade, pico has been behaving rather oddly;
inserting uppercase U's in the top line of the file I am editing (see
example below).

   Has anyone heard of this happening?  The number of U's vary from 3 or
4, right up to 50 or so.  It seems the more I edit, the more U's are
written to the top of the file.  The U's are not visible immediately
after I save; I have to exit, and re-view (using cat, pico, or another
text editor.).  The U's can be removed by editing them out, and don't
seem to re-appear until some other part of the file is edited.

   I checked the bug reports but didn't see anything listed on this
matter.  Is there something wrong with my configuration, or should I be
filling out a bug report?  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andrew Stevens.

Example (after I write, exit pico, and cat the file) using the first two
lines of my afterstep configuration file.

- Note that the original line is still intact, just with a ton of U's in
front of it.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU#
03/08/97 sample.steprc v2.0 fsf ffejes@midway.uchicago.edu