Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 19:06:27 -0700
From:      Ryan Grove <ryan@wonko.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wine 20020605 network trouble

In an attempt to get a good IM client working on my FreeBSD 4.6 box
(since I can't seem to get the latest version of Everybuddy to compile,
and it's not in ports yet), I installed the latest version of Wine
(20020605) from ports.

Wine works fine and runs the Windows IM client (Trillian) with no
problems except one: no network support. I tried several other Windows
applications and got the same result. Wine refuses to allow any of them
to access the network.

According to all the documentation, Wine should transparently handle all
networking based on my FreeBSD configuration. FreeBSD sees the network
just fine, but Wine doesn't.

Does anyone have some pointers as to what the trouble might be? I know
Linux users have gotten Trillian working with no problems in this
version of Wine, so I suspect this is an issue either with FreeBSD or
with my configuration. In case it matters, I have an Intel PRO/100 NIC
and am behind a Linksys BEFSR41 router/firewall, which acts as my gateway.

--
Ryan Grove
ryan@wonko.com