Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 1995 19:04:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@elmer (Randall Hopper)
To:        questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   (?) RJ45 Crossover Cable Question (Pin numbering)

     In short, does someone know the convention for numbering the pins on an
RJ45 cable connector?  If the cable w/ attached connector is held in front of
you, pins on the near side of the connector and pointing up (cable attached to
the bottom), are the pins 1-to-8 numbered ascendingly from left-to-right or
right-to-left?

The more detailed version:

     I recently purchased an ethernet board for my FreeBSD box and am having
trouble getting it to talk to my router.  I suspect that the cable might be
the problem.

     The cable (custom made by someone else) is supposed to be an RJ45
crossover cable which I'll use to direct-connect to my home router.  I've
buzzed it out to verify that pins 1-3 and 2-6 are swapped.  If the answer to
the numbering convention question above is right-to-left, they are.  However,
given that it isn't working and my board appears to be working fine except that
it can't put a packet on the network, I suspect that the the convention is
in-fact left-to-right, and the person that built the cable cabled it backwards.
If someone knows which is correct, please drop me some e-mail.

     Thanks in advance.

							Randall Hopper
							rhh@ct.picker.com