Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 06:29:35 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is x-compiling 2.2 on a 3.x system supported?

In message <00Jun21.062523est.115224@border.alcanet.com.au>, Peter
Jeremy write
s:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 13:52:58 +1000, Gregory Bond wrote:
> >  Is building 2.2.x world on 3.x supported?
>
> I'd be very surprised if it was.  The 2.2 build process mostly
> assumes that it is running on 2.2.
>
> My attempts to build 2.2.x on 4.x also died inside rtld.  The
> problems were a mixture of the changes to symbol mapping (the
> '_' prepended to symbols in a.out but not ELF) and having the
> rtld work during the build process - when it has to work with
> the 4.x kernel.
>
> When I asked a similar question, Cy Schubert suggested running
> buildworld inside a chroot'd 2.2 environment - and that worked
> on a 4.x system (but I haven't gotten around to the installworld
> part).

Build the 2.2 kernel first, copy it to its root filesystem, then boot
-s and installworld.  I haven't tried it but I suspect that the process
should be similar to the 3.4 -> 4.0 upgrade procedure +/- a glitch here
or there.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC