Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 1996 20:09:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      JOHN <JSINNOTT@POMONA.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PS/2 mouse problems - help please?

I recently bought a Mouse Systems Optical, three button mouse for my system.
These mice come with a serial connector, and an adapter to plug it into the
PS/2 port.  I have been using another PS/2 three button mouse with no problems
for quite some time now.  However, the Mouse Systems mouse has been quite
erratic.  My XServer is XInside's XAccel.  Basically, the second and third
buttons of the MS optical mouse perform the same function in X, even though
this mouse is supposed to be fully three button functional.  The mouse also
does not work properly in DOS apps.  My confusion lies with the fact that this
is the second of this model I have tried - I returned the first to try another
in case the first was broken.  I have also been told that this mouse works well
for others, using XFree86.  I thought the PS/2 protocol (if that is what it
could be called) is a standard - so if my first PS/2 three button mouse worked,
shouldnt this one as well?  Could there be a hardware conflict with this mouse
when there was none with the previous mouse?  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.  Thanks.