Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2002 00:17:31 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <agenkin-dated-1011329481.db2849@thpoon.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiple root accounts

What is the better scenario for a situation with multiple sysadmins
for one system:
  a. all admins share one root account and pass
  b. there is a separate root account per each admin, with its own
     pass

Historically, at my ork place there are five admins sharing the same
root account.  I think that scenario (b) is better, but maybe there
are gotchas with this approach.

Here's what I can think of with regards to having one UID 0 account
per each admin:

Pros:
- each admin can have his own customization (dot files etc.)
- possibly, accountability is increased
- each admin can choose a password that's easy to remember for him
- no need to communicate a new password, like it would have to be
  communicated if one root account were shared

Cons:
- there is a chance that some admin would choose a weak root password
- anything else?..

What am I missing?  It would be nice to hear how others approach this
problem.

FWIW, the network consists of almost equal shares of Solaris and Linux
computers (no BSD boxes so far) with /etc/password shared over NFS.
--
Arcady Genkin