Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:22:28 +0800
From:      John Summerfield <summer@os2.ami.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & GNU

lists@vivdev.com said:
>  >a competitive DOS to MS-DOS and price it cheaper and split the DOS
> market. >It never worked because DR-DOS didn't offer any increased
> functionality over >regular MS-DOS that was significant enough to
> induce people to switch.

> The DR-DOS experience as you've laid it out supports my view, in that
> DR-DOS _wasn't_ an alternative other than in name.

I bought DRDOS because it had one advantage over MSDOS. There were others, but
drive compression was included in DRDOS and the alternative was to buy Stacker
or something else (and Stacker cost more that DRDOS).

As I recall, DRDOS also had better disk caching (and so I didn't need PC
Lightning any more) and memory management  (QEMM).

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.