Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 23:57:34 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and the Euro?

On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 12:18:33AM +0100, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Nik Clayton:
> > I confess I know almost nothing about how this issue is going to affect
> > FreeBSD (except for the requirement for a new character for the euro
> > currency, which looks like a 'C' and '=' superimposed). I'm mentioning
>
> Apart from the fact that you need new fonts and new syscons/xmodmap
> entries, why does Linux need a patch ?

Don't know. As I say, I know very little about this, but was hoping
someone would.

If we are ready (or as ready as we can be) for it, then it's nice to
know because

  a) We can put a "Euro-ready" logo on the web site

  b) Someone (me, or someone else, I don't mind) can put together
     something for the Handbook that explains what this all means.

> Anyway, we already have a ISO-8859-15 (aka Latin9) font for syscons in the
> tree.

That's part of it. But I don't know if that's all that's required.

	    C.R.F. Consulting -- we're run to make me richer. . .