Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 19:08:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ben@rosengart.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: executables over NFS

> > They are treated as local files -- that is, first page-in is from
> > the vnode, and subsequently aggressively cached, including page-out
> > to local swap store in preference to discard, so subsequent page-in
> > is from local swap store.
>
> Why would the file be paged out to local swap?  Being clean, wouldn't
> the pages be discarded once selected by the page-replacement algorithm?

According to David Greenman, they wouldn't.

There was dicussion on this a while back, which left me believing
otherwise, but now I'm not sure.

The main reason to do this is that the swap pager is much faster
than the vnode pager, especially if it's over the net.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.