Date:      Sat, 05 Jan 2002 18:37:34 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what slice did I boot from?

> On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:
>
> > Hmm.. I'm running a 4.4-STABLE based system on the hardware, and
> > don't seem to have any problem booting off the other slice.  Right
> > now, it's runnong on the second slice of ATA Compact Flash disk:
> >
> > # kenv
> > LINES="24"
> > console="vidconsole"
> > currdev="disk0s2a:"
> > interpret="ok"
> > kernel="/kernel"
> > kernel_options=""
> > kernelname="/kernel"
> > loaddev="disk0s2a:"
> > root_disk_unit="0"
> > vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/ad0s2a"
> > #
>
> You're playing the same trick I am, just in more words :)  Which slice is
> loader.conf on?

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I don't have any explicit configuration in
my loader.conf; this is just the environment that the loader cooked
up all by itself.  Each slice has it's own own loader along with a
complete root file system.

> > It would be just fine to have the boot0 boot manager be the mechanism
> > to do all this.  That's an easy toggle between the two alternatives,
> > though harder to do an automatic fallback, perhaps.
>
> You try boot0 ... that's where my problem showed up. One would boot but
> the other says "Invalid partition." This is a heavily hacked install
> though (since sysinstall won't let you put a second / into a second slice
> when a first FreeBSD slice already exists).

What you might try is making sure that the other partition starts on
a cylinder boundary.  I've noticed that the BIOS on some machines have
real heartburn when the slice starts at some random location not
coincident with a cylinder boundary.  I don't know why, and I'm pretty
sure I don't want to know :=)

louie