Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:15:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Rod A Boyle <boyler@pty.com>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wanting to INSTALL FreeBSD

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Rod A Boyle wrote:

> I am wanting to install FreeBSD on my WINDOWS-95 system.  I have a 3.1GIG
> HDD which is split partitioned.  I have lots of stuff on both partitions
> but believe to have enough room for the FreeBSD install.  Are they going to
> co-exist and will I bring up my system in either UNIX or WINDWOS-95 O/S
> mode.  What to do?

The problem you are going to run into is that some BIOSs can't boot any
operating systems that are past cylinder 1024 on the hard disk, somewhere
in the 500mb range.  If you cut your disk in half, then you're over the
limit.

The usual way to solve this is to create a small slice at the beginning of
the disk, install FreeBSD's root directory into that, then place the rest
of the installtion later on.  This involves doing some acrobatics with
your Win95 partition which is difficult without any tape backup media.

THe other solution is to buy another disk and dedicate one disk per OS.  I
do this and it saves many, many headaches.

FreeBSD provides a boot manager that will allow you to select between
Win95 and FreeBSD on startup.