Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:01:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Zbyszek Sobiecki <kodz@slonce.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: systrace.

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, David Malone wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 03:50:33PM +0200, Zbyszek Sobiecki wrote:
> > Is there any work done on porting systrace to FreeBSD?
>
> I started looking at it and began porting it to current. It doesn't look
> too hard. I'll probably get it finished at some stage, but if someone
> else wanted to look at it they should go ahead 'cos I've been a bit busy
> recently.
>
> I actually thought that there might be some race conditions in the code
> but didn't have a recent OpenBSD machine to test my theory on.

I tend to agree, having noticed what is presumably the same problem -- I
chatted with Angelos about it at a recent DARPA PI meeting, and I think we
concluded that the race conditions do exist and may well be exploitable.
Someone dropped me an e-mail saying they had done a port, but I was on
travel at the time so didn't respond--I think it would be useful to look
into integrating it, but the race conditions do need to be closed.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories