Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 12:14:53 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Dan Odom <daniel@jimi.danodom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple serial ports

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Dan Odom wrote:

> I am interested in using a FreeBSD box as a PPP/PAP server.  I can't
> find any information about supported multiport serial cards.  We are
> currently using Digiboard products (PC/Xem) under BSDI 2.1.

Hmm, strange.  You can't be looking in the right places.  I'm sure there
is info on the web site, and in HARDWARE.TXT in the distributions (see
section 3 - LINT - other configurations).

Supported cards are:  Digi, Cyclades, Boca, Stallion, AST.  RocketPort
drivers have been committed to -current recently.
I have used Cyclades, AST and a Boca-8 type called the TC-800.  FreeBSD
does not make use of the special port register of the TC-800, and I found
that when running mpd (multilink ppp daemon) on a TC-800 the second
channel was starved of interrupt servicing, presumably because mpd
synchronises the data it transmits on each channel, and channel 1 was
always serviced by the shared interrupt, and channel 2 not.  TC-800 is
fine for light use customers.

AST/4 clones I have work fine with mpd under high load.
Cyclades is pretty good; I use ISA version myself; the ISA driver is more
reliable than the PCI, I have heard.

Danny