Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2014 21:21:27 -0400
From:      "Chad J. Milios" <milios@ccsys.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reason 23 why we've moved to linux

On Mar 22, 2014, at 5:40 PM, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:

>> strange. Whenever I come in touch with Linux, I have the feeling that
>> the people better would have kept Windows on their machine.

+1, liked, upvoted, favorited, pinned, retweeted

> the first time i logged on to a linux system, i said `ls`, it came out
> in color, and i walked away.

Wait, what? Are you saying that like it's a good or a bad thing?

> i have been a freebsd lover for a couple of decades, and 4.3 before
> that.  but in the last couple of years it has become really painful.
> and .bashrc has helped me not have broken fingers on linux, and the
> bottom line is a *lot* less pain.

Bash makes me want to do its namesake to my own skull against a concrete
wall.

> at least once a month, i have to do port security updates on over a
> dozen freebsd systems.  it takes most of a day if i am lucky.

It's your job right? I presume you get paid for it and there was a
reason you or somebody chose FreeBSD on those systems.

> the linux systems update automagically and send me email telling me
> what they did.

Oh, so you've never been burned by hippy magic? In that case I have some
beans I'd like to sell you that will fix all of your problems and some
powder that goes up your nose that will fulfill your every desire.

> i value my time.

So much so that you seem to feel that bitching is a better way to spend
it than helping would be. Lawlz.

> if i did not value freebsd, i would just walk away saying nothing.  but
> the community seems to be in some sort of fantasy that things are OK and
> nirvana is just around the corner.  linux has matured, believe it or
> not.  freebsd, ports in particular, has rotted.  and folk are voting
> with their feet.

Good riddance. I hope you'll let us know how that works out for you.

> randy

Oh randy, I'm only picking on you because of your delivery, in my
pursuit of a balanced discussion. I admit to understanding your pain and
appreciating your valid, practical opinion and observant perspective. I,
the folk at FreeBSD and their supporters all appreciate your input, I'm
certain.

However I, for one, am not in a fantasy and I know the nirvana we all
seek is not just a leisurely stroll around the nearest corner. It will
take the hard work and perseverance of you, I and many of these far
greater minds around us. Perhaps I'm just drunk off the koolaid and
you're right to be headed for the lifeboats but I feel right at home and
in good hands with the team and community here at FreeBSD.

-Chad