Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:37:36 -0400
From:      "Lester A. Mesa" <netadmin@primex.prontel.net>
To:        "'todd ritzka'" <acidrop50@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: help  again

root passwd?

How ever you put it is a bad idea to disable root password.  But if you
really want too.

Just vipw go to the encrypted section of your account, in which should be
the second one (e.g. root:SJ;lkdajsdkl:) and remove the encryption and leave
it blank (root::)

Shift-zz to save and exit

that will remove the password and rebuilt the password database..

Hope this helps