Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 21:25:23 +0100
From:      James Mansion <james@westongold.com>
To:        "Christopher G. Petrilli" <petrilli@amber.org>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: hw platform Q - what's a good smp choice these days?

Well ... I'm going to disagree with you.  At least to some extent.

It is undeniable that SCSI is (at least in theory) a great deal more
sophisticated and that an IDE solution (even a UDMA one) will tend to
eat more CPU, and have more queueing of IO requests in the system.

I'm not going to argue that SCSI isn't better in an absolute sense.
But some people are dramatically oversimplifying the issue, and
'opposition' to IDE and snide remarks are as useless (and as
childish and stupid) as similar comments about Microsoft.

However,

No.  Absolutely no.  I promise you ;-)

> everything from mainframes to Sun Starfires to little embedded
> machines, and ALWAYS they are I/O bound.  When you think you've fixed

No they aren't.

Maybe your experience is that they are, but mine is not.  It may be that
I am spoilt having worked primarily in investment banks.  (Lets be
clear,
I am objecting to your use of 'ALWAYS')

My observation has been that systems that have been sensibly
configured are net IO bound or CPU bound, but rarely disk transfer
bound.  Sometimes seek bound, I grant.

My experience is mostly with trading systems for derivatives.  These
tend to behave more like decision support systems than transaction
processing systems.  On the Sybase systems I'm most familiar with,
CPU becomes the limiting factor quickly - even on mullti-CPU
'big iron' from Sun and HP.  Where this hasn't been the case, some
minor tuning to avoid table scans and help index coverage has been
enough
to bring the working set well within affordable RAM.

On web servers, it is usually the case that you are either bound on your
ISP connection, or are CPU bound on CGI/ISAPI/whatever running dynamic
services.

FTP and some file serving I guess can have very large working sets and
be IO bound - fine.  None of the systems I've worked with have been
very dependent on non-transactional disk stores.  From what I can tell,
the sensitivity of news servers to disk performance is because news
servers
tend to use naff software that works like a file server rather than a
DBMS.  And hopefully the soft writes will dramatically improve things
if the memory is there for buffering and the traffic is bursty.

If you're running a turnkey system with a bunch of users I'd still
think very carefully before going with the knee-jerk reaction that its
not
a single user client and should be SCSI.

In this country a competitive price for a fast-wde 9GB 7200RPC SCSI
drive
is about UKP350.  An 8GB UDMA IDE is less than half that.  The UKP200
difference will buy you 192MB of memory, and the controller is probably
right there too.  UKP200 gets you a 330MHz CPU if you have the
motherboard
for it, as an alternative.  If the 192MB is the difference between
swapping
and running from RAM with a good deal of file system cached, its the
smart
way to go.

There's no simple answer to which is better.  A definitive 'servers need
SCSI'
is a gross oversimplification - if you're likely to be seek bound then
you
would be well to see how many bus-master IDE controllers you can handle,
and
use multiple 4GB or 8GB UDMA IDE spindles - they're a steal.

My current and previous machines - apart from the portable I'm using to
write this - have been SCSI.  Its served me well as a platform for
handling decent CD-ROM and DAT as well as disk.  But running out of
disk space has always been more of a headache than waiting an extra
couple
of seconds when the system is busy, and I don't know many fileservers
that don't suffer from this.

> that they're memory bandwidth bound, they're never CPU bound.
>
> Having said that, assuming this machine is aimed at general purpose
> web/etc, I would recommend getting a dual CPU board, but if
> you have to
> cut costs, NEVER cut it in the I/O subsystem on a server (clients are
> different stories).  Also, more spindels is better, and I
> often try and
> find a small drive for my root drive, and use another small drive for
> swap, just to keep it off everything.  This is again an I/O at all
> costs design, and I'm known to put 3 SCSI busses on a machine that has
> any load.

I agree that cutting seeks by splitting IOs is a good idea, and any
database
tuning book will tell you that.  But for any budget, you can afford way
more
IDEs and if you're performance bound on your swap device then you really
have screwed up the way the system budget was spent.

> Note that anythign that is heavily disk bound, i.e. database, or news
> servers, should put even more emphasis on the I/O side of the
> house---something unfortunately that PCs still are pretty
> miserable at.

Not sure this is a wise thing to say.  FreeBSD does rather well at
controlling
IO and you have a hard time getting mid-range Suns and HPs to hit disks
as hard
as a PC will, simply because its so much easier to get 80MB/s subsystems
and
disks for your PC.