Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 2014 17:01:02 +0100
From:      "Dr. A. Haakh" <bugReporter@Haakh.de>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gnome2 isn't installing

Am 05.12.2014 um 18:58 schrieb Kevin Oberman:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM, <orcaman42@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is running on a clean install of:
>> $freebsd: tags/RELEASE_10_1_0/x11/gnome2/Makefile 367888 2014-09-10
>> 20:50:31Z gerald $
>>
>> Staging for gnome2-2.32.1_7
>> gnome2-2.32.1_7 depends on file: /usr/local/libexec/gweather-applet-2 -
>> not found
>> Verifying install for /usr/local/libexec/gweather-applet-2 in
>> /usr/ports/x11/gnome-applets
>> gnome-applets-2.32.1.1_6 cannot install: Unknown component gnome panel.
>> Error code 1
>>
>> Stop.
>> make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/x11/gnome-applets
>> Error code 1
>>
>> Stop.
>> make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/x11/gnome
>> Error code 1
>>
>> Stop.
>> make: stopped in /usr/ports/x11/gnome2
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Am I missing something? Is this my fault? Can I help fix this? ( I have no
>> idea how to code? ) To me this looks like it's missing something off the
>> server? But I don't think I can add something to the server? Any help would
>> be appreciated! :)
>>
>> Chris
>>
> Yes, you are. Gnome2 and it's sub-ports have been deleted with the upgrade
> to gnome3.
>
> You have the choice of installing x11/gnome3 or, if you like Gnome3 as well
> as I do, either x11/mate or x11/cinnamon. mate is a fork of gnome2 with
> enhancements and cinnamon is an alternative to Gnome3 that is still gtk3
> based, but has apps that retain the configurability and flexibility of
> Gnome2.
>
> I am running Mate just fine and have played with cinnamon just a bit.
> Cinnamon is probably how I should have gone, but I'm lazy and the mate
> learning curve is pretty slight while cinnamon is fairly different from
> gnome2. I tried cinnamon on Linux Mint, so I can't speak to the state of
> the cinnamon port.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
> E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com

If i reconsider the decisions I have made during the last 3 decades
regarding software-installation, I have to admit that the "upgrade" to
Gnome3 was the worst. Especially because I (after starting with Gnome1,
moving to Gnome2) did not expect a complete redesign where I still look
for the description how to create a custom starter. I will not bother
you with all the annoying details of this "desktop" because this is the
wrong list.

But I think a short note in /usr/ports/UPDATING informing the users
about the total redesign and possible alternatives would have been
appropriate.

That said I am now looking for an alternative. I had decided to switch
to KDE (or even CDE which is now freely available :-)). So the
alternatives you listed seem quite interesting.

In the meantime I managed to install both mate and cinnamon besides gnome3.

Fortunately gdm offers them as alternative desktops, once you have
selected a user. So it's rather easy to switch between them to find the
one which suits you best.

This information about gdm is missing from the pkg-descr in mate and
cinnamon and I spent some time to learn this.

Andreas