Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 19:52:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Emulation

Okay, I'm going to get all icky and dirty here, but I can't help but
jump in:

A big selling point I find in FreeBSD is the "we can run it" aspect.
We provide SVR4 and IBCS2 ABIs in addition to the Linux and Wine ABIs.
More than once, I've had a client who has a product dying on, say, a
SCO box.  By putting that same product on my laptop under the
appropriate ABI and getting the office back in production, and then
saying "Okay, let's find the *right* fix for the job," I pique their
interest in FreeBSD.  (I keep two NICs in that laptop for the same
reason -- it makes a dandy emergency firewall.)

Of the three times I've done this, twice we wound up with a FreeBSD
machine running that software.  A decent ABI with a solid back end can
outperform the native platform.

Occasionally, they've even bought different software because it would
run on FreeBSD, simply because my stupid little $2K laptop
outperformed their $10K Compaq server.

The third time, they ripped UNIX out and put in NT.  I sent videos of
the results off to Clive Barker for inspiration.  But that's another
story.

What this is leading to: I think it would hurt us if Linux had FreeBSD
ABI compatability.  Our "I don't care what it was compiled for, we can
run it" flexibility is a strong, strong selling point.  It's called
the "can-do" attitude; that's what I look for in employees and
operating systems alike.

Anyway, I'll shut up now.  We now return you to your regularly
scheduled flamewar.

==ml

PS: So, is anyone interested in *advocating* BSD on this list?  I've
gotten one person interested in a Southeast Michigan BSD group; it
seems like the Lansing folks are hitting it off.