Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2003 11:14:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, alfred@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sem.ko and vfs_aio.ko modules not built by default

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> I notice that with a recent -current, that the vfs_aio.ko and sem.ko
> modules do not seem to be built by default.  In the past, this was not
> the case.
>
> Is it mandatory now to specify the kernel options:
> options		VFS_AIO
> options         P1003_1B_SEMAPHORES
>
> in order for these modules to be built?  I thought that the modules
> would be built if no options were specified, and if those options were
> specified, the modules would be built into the kernel.

Sometimes, kernel modules will not be built by default because they are
unstable or experimental features that have not been adequately deployed
or tested.  I know our AIO implementation has improved in quality a great
deal over the last couple of years, but last I checked the psem
implementation had very little practical deployment experience or testing.
Probably what it will take is someone owning the code for a bit to develop
a proper test suite, chase down nasty interactions, etc.  I know similar
(although not identical) code exists in Darwin -- would be interesting to
ask Apple if they have a test suite for their psem implementation.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories