Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 13:18:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        randyd@nconnect.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Display variable

In a previous message, Doug White said:

> On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Randy DuCharme wrote:
>
> >      Is there a display variable somewhere that needs to be set (FreeBSD
> > 2.1)?  I encounter the message "unable to open display"  (sometimes it's
> > unable to open display ''  or unable to open $DISPLAY ) when I attempt
> > to run ghostscript, or the fvwm window manager for X, or a few other
> > apps.  I'm new to FreeBSD and UNIX in general and realize I've probably
> > missed something, but I've been messing around with it, and reading man
> > pages for 3 weeks now and can't find the answer.
>
> DISPLAY should be set when you login.  It is on my machine.
>
> I'm not on X right now or I'd echo mine.

If you are on your console, the easiest DISPLAY is :0
Or you can set it to machine:0 where machine is your machine
name (name of ethernet port) or localhost (127.0.0.1).

For sh/ksh/bash:
export DISPLAY
DISPLAY=:0

for csh/tcsh:
setenv DISPLAY :0

But, Doug is right, it should be set when you do a startx
or from xdm.

--
Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service	ptroot@uswest.com

Being perfect is a terrible way to spend your life and guys are not
equipped for it anyway. It is like a bear riding a bicycle: He can be
trained to do it for short periods but he would rather be in the woods
doing what bears do there.			- Garrison Keillor