Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:16:11 +0100
From:      Thomas Seck <tmseck@web.de>
To:        David <habeeb@cfl.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: ICMP attacks

Hello David,

On Sa , Jan 27, 2001 at 02:53:40pm -0500, David wrote:

> I would suggest you setup some sort of local firewall.  Using ipfw(8) with a
> dummynet(4) to help limit ICMP and SYN.  Also i find it useful to use the
> following sysctl options so when a UDP or TCP packet is sent to a closed port
> on your box or there is no connection the kernel will discard the packet
> instead of sending back a reply (usually an RST):
> net.inet.udp.blackhole=1
> net.inet.tcp.blackhole=2

Beware that this is not what I would call "well behaved" -- imho there is no
need to let others run into timeouts.  This is especially nasty when you
blackhole the ident service.

I do a reset via ipfw (like the kernel defaults to do anyway if the probed
ports were closed) and use the bandlim_exceeded warning as an indicator for
portscan activity out there, but YMMV of course.

Cheers,
Thomas Seck