Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:28:45 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        James Howard <howardjp@glue.umd.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/security -> /etc/periodic/security ?

--aT9PWwzfKXlsBJM1

Brian Somers wrote:

> Oops, sorry for the reply latency....

Don't worry, I've been side-tracked by docs stuff, committing things
then thinking "am I allowed to do that?", etc.  Fortunately I haven't
been forced to wear the pointy hat yet. :-)

> I don't think it's appropriate to separate the security script into=20
> multiple scripts unless the intention is to run ``periodic=20
> security''.  This is just my personal view though.  If you feel=20
> strongly about it, you should bring it up on freebsd-arch.  I'll=20
> certainly back down if the concensus says it should be split.

I don't really feel strongly, I just think it would be cleaner to have
it separated out.  Alternatively perhaps /etc/security could be moved
to /etc/periodic/daily/<x>.security, since it's just another daily
script really.  But that would mean a repo-copy and this probably isn't
important enough to justify that, so let's leave it be.  People are
probably used to running '/etc/security' standalone as well.

>> Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D
>=20
> BTW, congrats on your commit bit !

Thanks.  I took advantage of it to commit a question to the FAQ which
James (on the cc list) asked recently: "what is a repo-copy?", let
me know if it answers your question well enough. (it's in the misc
questions bit.)

--=20
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /