Date:      Sat, 19 May 2007 02:34:37 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HW RAID advice requested

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 02:06:07PM +0200, Paul Schenkeveld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Need some advice on currently available, FreeBSD compatible SATA or
> SATA/SAS controllers which can do hardware raid (depending on thruput
> we will have to choose between RAID-1 and RAID-5 later).  I see the
> Adaptec RAID controllers (both SATA and SAS) are supported by the aac
> driver but looking thru the FreeBSD mail archives I see no comparison
> information with other brands such as 3ware.
>
> Ths machine will run FreeBSD 7 and use ZFS (the server will not go
> live until 2008 so I hope ZFS may be production quality in time).
>
> Any suggestions?  Boads to buy definitively or to avoid at all?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I am partial to HP hardware, it is what we use at work and I haven't really
looked at other controllers lately. The Pxxx SmartArray controllers I have
used so far (P400i, P600, P800) with 10K 2.5" and 15k 2.5" drives have
left so far a good impression on me. And 6.2-Rel cciss driver does support
them. I might take a server tomorrow and finally do some more testing
under FreeBSD (we unfortunatly use mostly linux) including speed as I got one
server right now with a P400i internal attached to 4x72GB 10k 2.5" and
a P800 with 25x72GB 15K 2.5" external.

--
Regards, Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-865-0204
You can find my resume at: http://www.Alameda.net/~ulf/resume.html