Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:08:36 -0500
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Remy Nonnenmacher <remy@boostworks.com>
Cc:        ajh3@chmod.ath.cx, jgowdy@home.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: x86-64 Hammer and IA64 Itainium

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 04:24:18PM +0200, Remy Nonnenmacher scribbled:
| On 17 Apr, Andrew Hesford wrote:
| > On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 12:49:04PM -0700, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:
| For sure. Look at how it's pretty more easy to use an ARM or MIPS core
| to handle gluelessly the PCI, SDRAM, Flash etc... and just add specific
| components for the analogic interface side.

And what happens to the overhead of intercommunication between these
devices? :)

Infiniband
PCI-X

Btw, we already use ARM/MIPS stuff in many PCI applications...
NIC chipsets are essentially specialized processors.
Think about about the new Intel NIC's with i960 built-in

| X86 (and -64) is going to be just die hard PC and workstations where
| deadly wrong past must be taken into account at the price of wasted
| power. Futur is more than probably Itanium and alike for servers CPUs

And what's so deadly wrong about all the new features of Itanium
and KA-64?

| and a bunch of ARMs for low-level I/O tasks. Back to imagination. (Take
| a look at 0.15um copper process FPGAs with embeded ARM at Altera, for
| example, and you will see why no one, in the futur, will never ever need
| a proprietary and undocumented 'server class' SCSI or network card).

Please make Altera/Xilinx make their FPGA programming software
freely available.

| It would be really interesting to have a server-class FreeBSD SMPng
| version and, in conjonction, an highly portable and small Pico-bsd like
| one to animate the embeded processors.

Please define "server-class" SMPng :)
You do realize that, in the embedded systems world, sometimes
we use SMP, right?  For example, multiple DSP ASIC's in the same
router.....