Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:40:58 -0400
From:      "John R. LoVerso" <loverso@sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cd writer recommendation?

>     One thing www.buy.com is really good for, ...
>     is to get pricing information on a general search.  You can then use it
>     to do comparison shopping.

Or, just use one of the pricing web servers.  I use (and in the order I prefer)
Pricescan, KillerApp, and Shopper (web pages are s/.*/www.\1.com/, of course).
These allow you to search for the best price from a number of different vendors,
including Buy, Onsale/AtCost, etc.

The best price on the Yamaha CRW4416S (4x4x16 SCSI INT) is $186, found at
Pricescan and from at least 3 vendors.  The best price on the CRW6416S (6x4x16
SCSI INT) is $246, found at Shopper (the only one quoting this drive).

I like KillerApp's interface the best, but it doesn't carry as many products as
the others and lately it's pricing database doesn't seem up to date.  Unlike the
others, it also gives you technical specs on the products, as well as links to
the mfg's specific product page.  This is invaluable.  KillerApp also lets you
make comparisions of multiple products.

Pricescan has a search interface similar to, and slightly better than,
KillerApp's.  It far beats Shopper in terms of usefulness.  But, Shopper has
more products listed.

John