Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 13:24:15 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        luoqi@watermarkgroup.com (Luoqi Chen)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wine crash mystery

Luoqi Chen writes:
> Hi,
>
> I have been playing with wine recently. I noticed that wine would
> mysteriously crash my machine whenever I tried to run wine with
> a non-existing exe file (it was a typo initially). It seemed that
> wine had somehow triggered the shutdown condition on the cpu,
> because there was no panic when the system crashed.

I can't reproduce this on my -current system.
Either there is a difference in the kernel, that
makes -current more robust, or there are other
prereqs that are not met on my system. But I have
found, that wine tries to start a UNIX binary of
the same name, if it can't locate a Windows .EXE
file. But this mustbe intentional (I did not look
up the source code responsible for this, yet).

Perhaps there was a bad interaction between Wine
and the kernel, when Wine decided to execute some
Unix file. Please check, whether the name you used
might exist on your system ...

> I am running wine961023 on FreeBSD 2.1.5R. Do you fellow wine
> users have the same crashes? I'm really interested in solving
> this problem. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm running it under a very recent -current and
don't suffer from that problem. I can't do much
about it, currently, for that reason ...

Regards, STefan