Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:26:11 -0800
From:      -DAL- <dylanal@earthlink.net>
To:        Mark.Einreinhof@hurlburt.af.mil
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crystal Sound Kernel compile

On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 12:05:38PM -0600, Mark.Einreinhof@hurlburt.af.mil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get sound compiled into my kernel. Reading the FAQs, LINT,
> mail archives, and sound.doc, I'm left confused but still trying. My machine
> is a celeron 366, with a Crystal CS4280 on the motherboard. I'm running
> FreeBSD 3.3. I copied the line that is in LINT into my kernel and I get the
> following errors:
>
> cs4232.o: In function `attach_cs4232':
> cs4232.o(.text+0x1ca): undefined reference to `probe_mpu401'
> cs4232.o(.text+0x1e5): undefined reference to `attach_mpu401'
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop
>
> Any thoughts? I've even tried that device pcm, but that had tons of errors.
>
> Please also send replies to me as I am not on the mail list for about the
> next two months.
>
> Thanks.

Mark, I have a Crystal based sound card as well, its not a 4280 rather its
scans as a:

--begin--
CSN 1 Vendor ID: CSC0b35 [0x350b630e] Serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: @@@0000 [0x0000
0000]
mss_attach <CS4236B>1 at 0x530 irq 10 dma 3:3 flags 0x14
pcm1 (CS423x/Yamaha/AD1816 <CS4236B> sn 0xffffffff) at 0x530-0x537 irq 10 drq 3
flags 0x14 on isa
--end--

here's what I have in my kernel config to get it to work:

--begin--
# Enable PnP support in the kernel.  This allows you to automaticaly
# attach to PnP cards for drivers that support it and allows you to
# configure cards from USERCONFIG.  See pnp(4) for more info.
controller      pnp0

# sound
device pcm0 at isa? port? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
--end--

I then added the following to /boot/kernel.config
--begin--
pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x534 port2 0x220 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 3
--end--

The above came out of the freebsd-questions archives and pnpinfo(8) command.
And I am not sure if its really necessary, but I do have sound and haven't
made the time yet to play around with it.  Notice that the IRQs are different
which seems a little strange but like I said I've got sound working ;)

Finally I rebooted, made the appropriate devices in /dev (sh MAKEDEV snd1) and
was off and running.

						HTH -DAL-

--
-DAL-