Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 23:05:48 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Ghulum Dastgir <Ghulam_Dastgir@uk.ibm.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shells, users and X

Ghulum Dastgir wrote:

>  1. I've installed X-windows on my FBSD installation then decided to
> change my root shell from /bin/csh to /bin/bash. After editing with vipw I
> found I couldn't access
>  X-windows anymore i.e. if I enter startx: it says command not found.
> How can I fix this as startx was working previously with csh?

Chances are that /usr/X11R6/bin was in your path, but one of csh's
initialisation files was setting it. Try putting something like this in
~/.bashrc

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin

adding/removing directories as needed.

> Is it actually worth the extra effort working as a user, because only I'll be
> working on my FBSD install on my pc at home. As a mere user I guess I can't
> acess the cdrom drive, mount my /dos partition etc - so I-ll be constatly
> typing "su".

I wouldn't like working as root all the time, you could quite easily
delete something you didn't mean to. Maybe I'm paranoid, though I think
`sensible' would be a better way of describing what I and most others do
:-)

--
Ben Smithurst : ben@scientia.demon.co.uk : http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/

PGP: 0x99392F7D - 3D 89 87 42 CE CA 93 4C  68 32 0E D5 36 05 3D 16
     http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/ben/pgp-key.html (or use keyservers)