Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 21:50:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Richard Levenberg <richardl@enterprise.ufp.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial connection with PPP

On Mon, 2 Sep 1996, Richard Levenberg wrote:

> according to the man page for ppp it says direct uses stdin and stdout.  I have
> no idea how to go about getting a serial interface up and running with
> stdin and stdout so if you have any suggestions i would be very appreciative
> to hear them.  I read more than one message in the archives that seemed
> to indicate using ppp was a bad idea for a permanent connection and that
> pppd would be much more stable.

stdin and stdout stand for "standard input" and "standard output", which
are your keyboard and display, respectively.  ppp -direct basically turns
a terminal session into a PPP session.

SLiRP is another piece of software that does the same thing but is much
more stable.

This is all assuming you can compile and run these on the remote host (ie,
it's a FreeBSD box too) or you can figure out how to compile them.