Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 96 05:48:57 -0800
From:      "Eric Kylstra" <erick@accessone.com*>
To:        "questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: X-Windows - trying to get working

>> What the heck is rehashing?  And if I reinstall X do I do it through
>> sysinstall?  Or is it best to do it manually?
>
>Just type rehash. For more info type man rehash.
>
>> But none of the X programs work even so.  xf86config doesn't even run!
>> And no error messages other than the programs aren't valid commands.
>
>Have you tried typing the full path to the commands or changing to the
>same directory and typing ./<command name>?
>
>Are the permissions on the program correct?
>
>Andrew

OK, I've explored a bit further.  I can try to run all the X programs
from the directory they are in (/usr/X11R6/bin) and they are not even
seen as valid programs (yes the permissions are correct).

But if I type in the whole path it will at least try to execute (comes
up with not being able to find xinit since I can't specify the path to
that).  The path is in the xsession file in roots directory.

So I thought to try the rehashing.  This is where things get strange.
The error came back that rehash wasn't a valid command either!  What
the heck?  I looked in the man pages and rehash was included under the
csh section.

I'm running the bash shell - have I screwed up something bigtime?  The
same results for the X programs was had under the standard sh as well
before I switched over.

Any other ideas?  Thanks!

Eric Kylstra
erick@accessone.com*