Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 1996 19:32:45 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PnP problem...

>>> Terry Lambert said:
 > >  > > Grand Total: 4 Interrupts, 3 DMA Channels, 7 sets of I/O ports...
 > >  >
 > >  > One would think you could share interrupts... then ask where it was
 > >  > coming from.
 >
 > [ ... ]
 >
 > > Sorry Terry this does not make any sense. My gus does have different devic
     es.
 > > You can say that the GUS PnP has a poor architecture for handling  differe
     nt
 > > devices -- that I would agree with.
 > >
 > > The fact remains that the GUS PnP is not an isolated PnP soundcard which i
 > > going to offered similar configuration problems. Somehow we have to :
 > >
 > > a. know in advance which  devices is the kernel configured for, if possibl
 > >    given that we have lkms
 > >
 > > b. then configured all PnP devices which we know we have driver for.
 > >
 > > c. continue with normal probe and  attach driver initialization sequence.
 >

 > You have to preallocate locations for devices that can be neither
 > moved nor disabled; your sequence order is incorrect.
 >

 > It makese sense that you would have one interrupt per card so you don't
 > run out between card slots and onboard devices... it's stupid that the
 > GUS doesn't have an interupt multiplex on board.  You'll have to live
 > with it until you buy a pure PCI system instead of a PCI bridged off
 > of ISA.  I recommend the Apple and Motorolla chipsets.  8-).

Well, Terry the super multimedia chipsets based on PCI are coming real
soon... Check out http://www.mpact.com for instance. However,
it is going to be a while before are able to support them.

 > However, the PnP discovery ordering is:
 >
 > 1)	disable all PnP
 > 2)	probe all non-PnP cards
 > 3)	Query PnP cards for where they may fit
 > 4)	Do a topological sort to fit them all
 > 5)	Make them pick one to disable if the sort results in a
 > 	collision.  Repeat as necessary.
 > 6)	Map the mappable locations
 > 7)	Enable the PnP cards that were not marked disabled
 > 8)	Attach drivers as available, loading them if necessary

Well, Terry it makes no sense to activate devices which I don't
have a device driver who knows I may even be able configure my
system 8)

 > Exception: Treat ISA cards on a PnP ISA bus motherboard (slot disabling)
 > as single address devices in terms of the topological sort.
 >
 > Note that you can still be screwed if you don't recognize a non-PnP
 > card on an ISA bus, since you will not be able to infer its location
 > for the sort, and it can't be disabled.
 >

 > Conclusion: If you have problems, it's because your GUS is too greedy.

Pretty lame Terry 8)

I do have full duplex audio over here and it works as for many of the
devices that the GUS has I don't need . For instance, the SB PRO emulation
and the CDROM interface which btw the normal board does have anyway.

	Amancio