Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 96 17:07:45 MET
From:      stein@ife.no (Stein Morten Sandbech)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        stein@ife.no
Subject:   Pentium Notebooks & FreeBSD/XFree86

FYI...

We are in the process of testing some pentium notebooks with FreeBSD 2.1 and
XFree86 ( off the 2.1 CD-ROM from Walnut Creek ).

In the past couple of days, we've tested the Olivetti Echos 90P model with 8MB
of RAM, 10.4" color TFT display and 810MB disk.

After a problem-free FreeBSD installation, I configured the X server and are now
running the SVGA server at 640x480x256. The server reports Chips & Technologies
65545 PCI video chipsets for this machine.

I'm using an external serial mouse. I have not tested the glidepoint mouse yet.

The machine have been running repetitive kernel compiles while running X and
"ico" + assorted xterm sessions for some hours now :-) ( i.e. swapping all the
time ).

A very nice machine for FreeBSD (the hw revision I got, at least)!

I'm planning to test the Texas Instruments 5000 series machines more, probably
after easter. I've just verified that FreeBSD 2.1 runs, but have no experience
with XFree86 as of now. I do expect some problem as these machies use a newer
video chip from Cirrus Logic, the GD7542 (compatible with older CL chipsets?
... anyone ?)

Hope this info can be of use for selecting portable machines for FreeBSD.

Best regards
Stein Morten

/*  Stein M Sandbech                             Email: stein@ife.no          **
**  Owner & technical manager                    Email: steinms@oslonett.no   **
**  Ing. Stein M. Sandbech                       Phone: +47 6387 2300         **
**                                               Phone: +47 6380 6219         **
**  Asaktoppen 39, N-2045 Leirsund, NORWAY       Fax: +47 6381 1168           */