Date:      21 Jun 2000 17:15:58 +0200
From:      Michael Hohmuth <hohmuth@innocent.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Adam Steffes <asteffes@ucdavis.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: ppp problems under 4.0-S

Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> writes:

> At a guess, you're failing authentication because you now need to
> escape the '#' in your password ?  Be careful about quoting (``"'')
> the # though.... there's another bug that was just plugged in this
> respect !

I just stumbled over this after I cvsuped the newest 3.x-STABLE --
these `ppp' changes made it to the 3.x-STABLE branch just two weeks
ago.  Thank god I found your old message!

I think this change deserves a big ``heads up.'' and an entry in the
3.5/4.1 release notes.  Germany's largest ISP (T-Online) uses PPP
login names that contain a '#'.

Michael
--
hohmuth@innocent.com, hohmuth@sax.de