Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 08:52:12 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@toy.chip-web.com>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>, 'mrushton' <mrushton@epix.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Cyrix Media GX and FreeBSD

I would recommend that you _not_ get the Media GX for a desktop system. I
currently have a small Oasis-branded Media GX 180MHz box running as a DNS
server.

Last I checked (a few months ago), XFree86 did have support for the
MediaGX's graphics chipset, but it wasn't very functional (you were limited
in how the modelines could be set up). Additionally, the MediaGX was made
to be cheap, not necessarily good. You could probably get better graphics
performance with a cheap S3 card.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441