Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:46:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>
To:        "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: gateway on different subnet

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, J. W. Ballantine wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In order to save the internet address space, my cable co has setup their
> network with a live address for my
> PC but an address on a private 10.0.0.0 network for the cable modem.
> Now of course, this is also the
> gateway and dhcp server.  The problem is trying to get FreeBSD to use
> this private address as the gateway for
> the live address.    This config works for windows and they claim mac
> OS, but I can't get it to work for FreeBSD.  I've tried ifconfig
> default, but that returns NO ROUTE TO HOST, and I've thougth about using
> an alias on the
> NIC, but that would send it out with the private network address and not
> be able to find its way home.
>
> Any of you network wizards out there have the proper spell to get this
> working???
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim Ballantine

As lnog as your internal subnet is different from the cable modem's
subnet, you should be fine, as the DHCP client ought to set up the default
route for you.

Otherwise, "route add default <IP>" should do it.  It is my understanding
that the default route should not be the cable modem though, since it is
supposed to act like a bridge.

AT least this is how it works for me, except that the cable modem has a
192.168.100.* address as well as a 10/8, but I don't have either as a
default route.

Marco Radzinschi
E-Mail: marco@radzinschi.com

Mon Dec 16 14:42:22 EST 2002