Date:      Mon, 01 Mar 1999 16:17:37 -0600
From:      Don Read <sysop@calcasieu.com>
To:        Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X setup

back on 02:14 AM 2/28/99 -0800, you said:
>Hi!
>
>I'm trying to get Xwindows to tame my VGA setup without much luck. The
>setup is Cirrus Logic CL-GD5480 card (4Meg) and a 21 inch IBM 9504
>Black and White VGA monitor. Funny enough the card is listed in the
>XF86config, and I pulled horizontal and vertical refresh rates for the
>monitor from the IBM website. When I run startx the screen flickers
>and is unreadable, going through resolutions with Ctl-Alt-+ simply
>shows different flicker type.
>If you have a similar setup and got it to work or (unlike me) you know
>what's going on please lemme know.
>
>Thanks Rudy.

Got my home machine up 2.1.6 -> 2.2.8 this weekend.

What didn't work was the graphical X setup, it would start a running server
at the end; but a 'startx' would produce mondo clock-errors, and fail to
start (cirrus logic 5422).

However, the script based setup got a workable XF86Config !?

I'll need play with it some more to see what is the difference between the
config's produced by each ...

Anyhow, try the script set-up to see if it gives any better results for you.

Regards,
--
Don Read                               sysop@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager                                dread@texas.net