Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:05:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      J D <starkruzr1701@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   More on my A1000

--- Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> The problem is that Alpha disks don't have a PC-style partition
> table.

Ah.  I was under the impression that identical operating systems would
do their disk structure in identical ways regardless of architecture,
since to my mind storage is something of a processor
architecture-independent function.

Upon further reflection, however, this DOES sound a little unlikely :)

> The data is still there and should be recoverable.  Rather than
> using sysinstall, try installing the disks onto a functional FreeBSD
> system and try "disklabel daN".  You should be able to mount those
> partitions.

What precisely do you mean by this?  I think that I've already done
this (created a "functional BSD system") in a way, because when I
installed the OS onto my PII, sysinstall remained largely agnostic of
anything going on with the SCSI bus (or at least seemed to, I didn't
have the option of writing partitions on the SCSI drives).

I will try the disklabel trick when I get home, though.  Thanks!

> The Alpha is theoretically bytesexual but, AFAIK, only little-endian
> Alpha systems exist.  Your A1000 is definitely little-endian - which
> matches your P-II.  The only issue you might bump into is that longs
> are 32-bits on i386 and 64-bits on Alpha, though all the on-disk
> structures are fixed sizes so this won't affect mounting the disk.

Ah, excellent.  Thanks.

> You might like to offer this in -alpha and give an indication of
> where
> you are (since an A1000 is not compact).

I think I will, actually :)

Thanks again.  Will let you know if disklabel works.

JD