Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:34:41 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Howard Picken" <howard@tasbusiness.net.au>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Repost: Internet Print Protocol

Windows 2000 supports LPR and after much experience with printing
through Windows servers from UNIX boxen I would strongly recommend
that you just go into the Windows 2K network settings and add LPR
rather than attempting to mess with the IPP.  As I recall the IPP
was developed because LPR has little security on it, and when you
set up a printer to allow jobs from the Internet you don't want
every practical joker and their dog sending 2000 page print jobs to your
printer so as to exhaust all the paper in it.  But LPR will work
better for what you want to do, and there's an entire chapter on it
here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/corp-net-guide/index.html