Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 23:55:22 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: direct ethernet interface?

> Is there an easy way for me to send packets to a ethernet interface?

Certainly the easiest way is to use one of the supported higher level
protocols.  If you need to generate ethernet frames for some random
ethernet/IEEE 802.3 protocol, then you ought to look at perhaps using
bpf(4) as a way to send packets.  According to the man page, this is
supported on ethernet and slip interfaces.

I believe there's also a way to do this with raw sockets.

> On VMS, we had the capability of  issuing a qio to the ethernet interface so
> I am wondering if we have an ioctl or something that would allow me
> to talk  the ethernet interface.

Any more details on the sort of traffic you're trying to generate?
That might help narrow down a good approach to puruse.

louie