Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 15:00:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        HCI <bohandas@best.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Funny Page Fault

On Sun, 29 Dec 1996, HCI wrote:

> Whenever I ifconfig my Intel Ether Express I get a page fault in 2.1.5.
> The board passes all diagnostics, including network diagnostics.  Here is
> the ifconfig I used:
>
> ifconfig ix0 inet 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2

That's not a proper ifconfig line.

ifconfig ix0 inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 .....

You look like you're configing a point-to-point interface, of which the
ix0 is certainly not.

> It may be stupid but it doesn't appear to be worthy of bringing down the
> system.
>
> Possibly related:  When I activate ix0 in my kernel, I get a funny message
> right after the last driver, npx0, runs.  It reads:
>
> "
>  ixintr without being inited!!".
>
> I added the double quotes to show the HR and the space.
>
> The EPROM on the board was set using a DOS boot disk, and the Intel softset
> program.  It auto configured to IRQ 5, and I configured the thing with:
>
> irq ix0 5
>
> in the kernel config phase.
>
> Please give me some tips.

Did you turn Plug & Play off?

> Why do devices for hard drives, and serial ports and such have different
> device names in the kernel config, than in the dev file, but for network
> boards the interface is named the same as the kernel device name ie enable
> ix0 activates interface ix0, but activating sio1 enables tty0, and cuaa1 or
> whatever.  Is there an entry in the device file for the network boards?

The serial ports are a special case.  Don't ask me why :)  In most other
cases they should match up (sound cards are another exception).

I assume by 'device file' you mean /dev.  NICs aren't devices in the
regular context, they're interfaces used exclusively by the networking
software.  Having a 'direct-access' device in /dev doesn't really work for
network cards, so they don't have /dev entries.  (Someone is welcome to
give a more technical explanation)